Monday, December 31, 2007

What I did on my Christmas vacation

Moving into a new home takes so much longer than I ever expected. I was full of ideas and thought I had it all figured out. I had swatches and paint chips and big dreams. Then unpacking while working and getting ready for the holidays hit. And the house came to a standstill.

But, my mother arrived on Christmas day with some huge gifts... first she was there to spend Christmas with us, and then she made me drapes! I had bought some of this gorgeous but rather loud fabric to use as an accent but she picked up 5 more yards and went to work. She convinced me that this large wall in a very plain tan could handle the loud print and she was right. It may be overwhelming in this picture, but the room is large and has a lot of plain items - plain green couch, plain tan walls, plain brown and eggplant accents, and these take all of the colors and just pop. Thanks again, Mom.

So, motivated by the gorgeous curtains being sewn up in the guest room, I painted the dining room yesterday. Luckily the wainscoting is already two colors of beige that go very well with the russet color that I am so in love with right now. She's planning on making some more drapes but I kind of like these brown ones from an old apartment and I may make some patterned roman shades to go behind them. Thoughts?

Of course having the room all done and pretty just reminds me how pitifully small our dining room table is, but a new set will have to wait for a while. Eventually I'll have a set with better scale.

No comments: